Purchasing a commercial tanning bed is a big decision and one would certainly require thorough knowledge about the product and other related factors, before making such a huge investment. Hence, this BusinessZeal article offers you some valuable information about the same.
Artificial tanning has become very popular. Equally popular are the commercial tanning salons, wherein, you can spend just 20 minutes and walk out with a fantastic tan, which looks completely natural. We at BusinessZeal provide you with some information about a couple of things that you will need, to start a commercial salon along with a few tips for buying tanning beds. It is a low-maintenance business with high returns.
The basic differences between a commercial and a residential tanning bed are, power, durability, and the price. If you are running a tanning salon then you will require beds that provide tans that are deeper and long lasting to keep the customers coming back. You will require a bed that has between 24 to 30 lamps. More lamps provide deeper tans in a smaller period, which is ideal for a busy salon. These beds are also equipped with facial tanners, which are placed at precise angles to give the face a natural contoured bronze effect.
One important thing that every person, who wants to start a tanning salon, usually tends to overlook, is the fact that, you need a license to run a tanning salon. Every state has its own set of policies, however, a few common documents that you will require are, your trade and business names, tax payer identification number, and the business address of your salon. The fees also vary across the states.
You can also arrange training for your staff and yourself from the National Tanning Training Institute (NTTI) to learn, how to safely operate the beds. The institute offers a basic certification course, which includes information about the science behind sunless tanning, operating, and running a tanning salon and knowledge about various products. However, some states like Oregon, North and South Carolina, New Hampshire, and Louisiana do not recognize certifications from NTTI and hence, you will have to find out an alternative from the local city hall.
- Tanning beds are an expensive affair. It is always advisable to check out all the varieties in the stores and then compare the prices over the Internet, so that you get the best possible deal.
- Make a list of features that you require, before you actually start looking for a bed. This will help you narrow down your list and make the entire process of buying the bed far simpler.
- The accessories like the lamps and bulbs are quite expensive. Ensure that they have some warranty. Also, buying a few spare bulbs and lamps may be a good idea, as down the years, your model may become outdated and finding the right-sized accessories may turn out to be difficult or impossible, in some cases.
- The models that use UVB rays are not manufactured anymore. Ensure that the bed that you are purchasing uses UVA rays, which is also, safer than those using UVB rays.
- If you are purchasing a used equipment, ask the owner to walk you through the entire maintenance procedure.
- Some manufacturers offer discounts during certain periods of the year. Wait for these periods and buy the model directly from the manufacturers. However, if you are buying from a distributor, who is refusing to give a discount, you can ask him to give discount on other accessories like the applicator, bed pillows, and the protective eye gear.
- These days, some manufactures are welding the pieces of the bed together, instead of bolting them. The beds of this kind are definitely more durable.
- Buying high pressure bulbs is preferable, when compared to regular long tube lamps, as they tend to tan faster and darker.
- Although the steel body tanning models are more expensive than those with a plastic body, steel body beds come with a life-time warranty and are far more sturdy and require less maintenance.
If you are really interested in starting a salon and do not want to risk all your savings, a better approach would be to actually work in a commercial salon for sometime to pick up live tips. You will get a fair idea as to what you must implement and more importantly, you will know what not to do.