I am sure that all of us like a home-cooked meal, but during parties and get-togethers there is no other alternative but to order food. That is when catering businesses come to the rescue.
There are two types available in the market.
- Mobile Food Preparation Vehicle (MFPV): In this kind, the food is prepared as per the customer's orders. The MFPV truck usually offers various types of sandwiches and other kinds of food that can be prepared easily.
- Industrial Catering Vehicle (ICV): This kind of truck sells only prepackaged food.
Most of the food trucks available in the market are provided with amenities like a warming oven, refrigerator, freezer, fryer, sink, soda system, griddle, and coffee urn. You can ensure that you get the best buy by researching on the Internet. You would be happy to know that you can have the vehicle customized too!
Things to Remember During Purchase
- First, it is of prime importance to know how much you can spend. This will help you decide whether you would like to go in for a used truck or a new one.
- Seek help. Speak to other truck owners and find out about dealers in your area. Remember to check the dealer for reliability.
- Before you buy a used one, have it inspected by a mechanic.
- If you are purchasing a new one, inquire about the warranty and what is covered.
- Test drive the vehicle before committing. Since you will be spending a considerable amount of your time in the vehicle, make sure it is comfortable and everything in it works.
- If you are satisfied and have made up your mind, offer the dealer a price 20% lower than the advertised price. If you are purchasing a used vehicle, remember to take the cost of the repair off.
The key to success in a catering business lies in knowing what sells. Here are a few tips to make your business successful:
- Familiarize yourself with what sells on the route that you have selected. To do this you could talk to another seller of the route or the person who serviced it before you. If you are using a new route, find out about the people you will be serving.
- Find out where the local commissary (food and beverage facility) is located.
- Stock at least a few brands of cigarettes.
Using a catering truck is a good entrepreneur business strategy. Make sure you take care of the rules and regulations, business license, and health and food safety precautions given by the state authorities.