The alarming crime rate around the world has led to the emergence of a variety of business security solutions. Any kind of crime results in severe losses to any kind of business; big or small. Also, it is not only businesses that sell 'goods' that are at risk. Even businesses that sell 'services' can face a problem, namely data theft. Therefore, before investing in any security solution, it is important to remember that following the basics is of essence.
Basic Business Security and Loss Prevention
As mentioned before, starting with the basics can go a long way in preventing any kind of robbery or business related crime.
- Any kind of business requires employees. Therefore, before hiring them, do ensure that you perform a thorough background check, so that you hire the right employees. Primarily identify their social security number, the status of their previous job and reasons for resignation, and any records of criminal activities. A background check is particularly necessary for employees applying to higher and sensitive positions, such as those related to finance and IT.
- If you want your business to be safe, it is essential that you remain personally involved in it. You could also entrust two top-level employees for the same purpose, to monitor daily activities, and maintain records of all that has taken place during the day.
- Ensure that all employees are aware of company policies, and are taught how to react in situations involving theft and robbery.
- Keeping a backup of all data and record of inventories outside office premises is essential. In case of theft, you will know exactly what is missing, thereby making the recovery process quicker.
- Maintaining a record of visitors will enable one to identify who exactly enters and leaves the premises. This is especially important in cases where there is no necessity for people, other than those belonging to the organization to enter.
- Also, install an employee identification system. As such, in case of data security, it is easier to identify exactly which employee had used the required system or premise.
- Limit the distribution of sensitive information that is crucial to your business only to those persons who are involved in its implementation. Be it a new business plan, or certain important financial details, avoid talking about it without cause, particularly in public areas.
- Work with your Internet security team to provide adequate security to prevent users from going beyond your website and hacking into your network base.
- Hire well-established security personnel, and install video surveillance camera systems such as CCTV systems to monitor all undergoing activities in the organization. Secure the organization further by installing biometric devices that identify physiological traits such as fingerprints or iris recognition.
By following these, you can secure your business from potential losses due to robbery.
Robbery Prevention for Retail Organizations
Apart from the above-mentioned factors, retail organizations require additional security methods to prevent any kind of losses.
- Firstly, the exterior of the store should be well-protected. That means, avoid unnecessary bushes and hedges around your store. That way, you can identify the presence of suspicious persons lingering outside. It also helps the police to notice any case of unusual activity in the store without these hindrances. Also, for display, try to use shatterproof glass to avoid smash and grab incidents. Use padlocks to lock the store, and maintain the keys with yourself and trustworthy employees.
- Inside the store, maintain vigilance by being attuned to the happenings in the store. You should be able to tell if anything is amiss. Imbibe similar qualities in employees.
- Maintain minimum amounts in the cash register, and display those amounts, as it makes the store less vulnerable to robbers. Daily deposits in the bank are essential, especially in the case of large sums. While going to the bank, do not leave at the same time by the same route everyday, as it may aid a potential robber to recognize the pattern and carry out a planned robbery.
- Make eye contact with every customer who enters the store. This warns the customer that he/she is recognizable, and will also help you identify undesirable traits, if any, about him/her.
A lot goes into creating a business and running it successfully. You would not want it to get wrecked because of overlooking basic security. Implement these tips, and be assured, that the chances of any such happenings will be minimal.